Driving to Mt Buller
Mt Buller is located 248km from Melbourne via Mansfield. Mansfield is the closest town to Mt Buller, and you can stop here to collect tyre chains and groceries (if required) before you drive up the mountain. From Mansfield, Mt Buller resort entry gates are around 20 minutes drive, then a further 20 minutes will have you arriving at the overnight car parking area. As there is no fuel in Mt Buller, it is a good idea to fill up before you leave Mansfield.
Travel Distances: Distances are based on the most direct route.
From To Mt Buller
Mt Buller Resort Entry
When you arrive at the base of Mt Buller, you will need to stop at the resort entry gate. If you have not pre-purchased your resort entry online, you can pay as you pass through the gate. The Resort Entry point is staffed at the following times:
Monday to Thursday – 7am-9pm
Friday – 7am-midnight
Saturday & Sunday – 7am-10pm
If you arrive outside these times, follow the signs up the mountain and park where indicated, then during office hours go to Alpine Central to pay for your resort entry.
Resort Entry pricing for 2018 is $44 per day if purchased online, or $55 per day at the gate
All vehicles accessing Mt Buller or staying overnight in the resort must carry tyre chains by law. Chains can be hired from a number of outlets in Mansfield – specific chains are required for different types of vehicles.
Parking and Oversnow Taxi
Overnight parking is located 1.5km below the Village. At the car park you will be met by an attendant who will advise you where to park.
Overnight parking pricing for 2018 is $44 for the first night, then $8 per weeknight (Sun-Thurs) and $28 per weekend night (Fri-Sat). These are advance purchase prices.
Once you have parked your car, you will transfer your luggage to oversnow taxis which take you straight to your accommodation in Mt Buller Village. Note: only authorised vehicles are permitted to drive into Mt Buller Village.
Taxi service operates from – 7am till midnight (Sun – Thurs), 7am till 3am (Fri), 7am till 2am (Sat). For more information and bookings call (03) 5777 6070.
Oversnow taxi pricing for 2018 is $18 per adult, one way and $9 per child, one way
- When you are leaving Mt Buller car park, ensure all snow is cleared from your vehicle – fines and demerits apply for driving with snow on the roof of your vehicle, as this is a hazard for a number of reasons
- Before you leave home, ensure your vehicle has anti-freeze and that windscreen wipers, demisters and battery are in good working order
- Different vehicles require different types/sizes of chains. Ensure you have the right type for your vehicle by researching and hiring from appropriate sources
- Diesel fuel contains paraffin which can solidify in temperatures below 0 degrees – Alpine Diesel is available at most service stations in the alpine region to prevent this when you arrive in Mt Buller
- When parking, don’t leave your handbrake engaged as moisture in the mechanism can freeze and cause the handbrake to become stuck in the engaged position. It is also a good idea to lift your windscreen wipers when leaving the vehicle for an extended period so they don’t freeze to the glass