Driving to Falls Creek:
Falls Creek is located 391km from Melbourne via Mt Beauty. Mt Beauty is the closest town to Falls Creek, and you can stop here to collect tyre chains and groceries (if required) before you drive up the mountain. From Mt Beauty, Falls Creek Resort is around a 45 minute drive, but this can vary with traffic and snow conditions.
All vehicles accessing Falls Creek or staying overnight in the resort must carry tyre chains by law. Chains can be hired from a number of outlets in Mt Beauty or Myrtleford – specific chains are required for different types of vehicles.
The Howman’s Gap Resort Entry gate is 7km from Falls Creek – once you reach this point you will need to stop to purchase your resort entry if you have not pre-purchased your resort entry online.
The hours of operation are:
Monday – Thursday 7am – 4pm
Friday – 7am – 10pm
Weekends – 7am – 10pm
If you arrive when outside these times, follow the signs up the mountain and park where indicated, then go to the Accommodation Transfer Service office by 10:30am the following day to pay for your resort entry.
Resort Entry pricing is $56 per day if purchased online,
Vehicles must be parked in specific overnight parking areas once you reach Falls Creek. Drive to the Accommodation Transfer Terminal and look for signage directing you to the overnight parking waiting point. Once you reach this area, a member of staff driving a Falls Creek van will direct you to an available overnight car space – self-parking is not permitted, and you must wait to be directed by staff. The van will then take you back to the Accommodation Transfer Service building.
Accommodation Transfer Service
The Accommodation Transfer Service provides on-snow transport through its fleet of cat-track vehicles. The vehicles are heated and sealed from the elements and have ample storage space for your luggage.
When you have parked your car and the van has dropped you back at the ATS building, purchase your oversnow tickets and the staff will direct you to the waiting area. It’s a good idea to book your return oversnow tax trip at the same time to avoid waiting times on your check-out day.
ATS hours of operation are 8am every morning until 10pm every night, and midnight on Friday nights.
|Adult One Way
|Child (5 – 17) Return
|Child (5 – 17) One Way
|Family Pass (2 adults 2 children)
|Excess Luggage (every large bag over the 3 bag allowance)
|$10 per bag
|ATS luggage transfer season pass (per adult)
|Taxi Service (up to 10 passengers – no luggage)
|$110 ($200 return)
|Child Under 5 (no luggage)
- When you are leaving Falls Creek, ensure all snow is cleared from your vehicle – fines and demerits apply for driving with snow on the roof of your vehicle, as this is a hazard for a number of reasons
- Before you leave home, ensure your vehicle has anti-freeze and that windscreen wipers, demisters and battery are in good working order
- Different vehicles require different types/sizes of chains. Ensure you have the right type for your vehicle by researching and hiring from appropriate sources
- Diesel fuel contains paraffin which can solidify in temperatures below 0 degrees – Alpine Diesel is available at most service stations in the alpine region to prevent this when you arrive in Falls Creek
- When parking, don’t leave your handbrake engaged as moisture in the mechanism can freeze and cause the handbrake to become stuck in the engaged position. It is also a good idea to lift your windscreen wipers when leaving the vehicle for an extended period so they don’t freeze to the glass
- Groceries can be ordered online from Foodworks Mt Beauty and can be delivered to most accommodation in Falls Creek. Check out www.foodworkshighcountry.com.au for more info